Monday, March 03, 2008

Straightening up and flying right.

I started reading One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds on Saturday. In it she recommends journaling, so I suppose I will. I mean what is the use of buying the book if I don't even try what she says. I'm starting on week one where she says to explore the reasons why I am an unorganized slob and blame my parents if possible. Well, she doesn't say that exactly, but she does say to look back into my childhood and see what sorts of things might have triggered my current behavior. This is sort of a problem for me because I really can't remember a lot from my childhood. Not because it was unpleasant (quite the opposite), but because I watched too much Scooby Doo and you know there's only so much room to store things in the human brain. What I do remember is being late to school a lot because I stayed up too late and didn't want to wake up. Boy has THAT been a repeating pattern. Poor Wayne depends on me to take him to school three days a week and he's perpetually late. I'm perpetually late. If I would just go to bed and wake up 30 minutes earlier, this wouldn't be a problem.

But I am getting ahead of myself. The first week is about choosing one thing in the kitchen and doing it every day (like doing dishes or taking out the trash) for 21 days. Sounds good. I didn't do it yesterday though. Maybe today. See, that's another problem. I procrastinate too much (as I have whined about in previous posts). I have the best intentions of making a plan and following it, but everything falls apart when something good comes on TV. Or even something bad. I can always find 1,001 things to do instead of what I need to do (schoolwork, cleaning) and sometimes even things I want to do (schoolwork, writing).

Twenty-one days to make a habit, she says. I can do twenty-one days, right? Three weeks. The plan is to keep the sink clean of dishes and go to bed at 11:30. Baby steps. I'll keep you posted because I know you will be waiting on the edge of your seat.

No comments: