Thursday, March 06, 2008

Thinking and Driving

As I was driving to work today I went through my CD case looking for something I hadn't listened to recently. The case is pretty thick, but I guess I keep going back to the same ones over and over. Anyway, I finally picked one I hadn't heard in awhile, a compilation of MP3s. (That's why I hadn't listened to it in a long time. The pause between the songs is like four seconds instead of two and my time is far too valuable to be wasted waiting on the music to start.)

I had to skip a few folders that were mostly there for Wayne's sake (Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill) and finally came to one called Goodies. Oh yeah, I remember this folder! So I listened and a few good songs come on, then one comes on that I'd totally forgotten about. It caught me completely off guard and kinda knocked the breath out of me, I love it so much. How could I have forgotten it? It made me think that there are very few songs that affect me like that. I can think of precisely three, and they have distinct memories attached to them:

  • Brick by Ben Folds Five (the one I heard today) - Talking to Wayne on the phone all night
  • Far Behind by Candlebox - First real concert, first super-favorite band
  • Black by Pearl Jam - Over and over and over and over and over

    So, yeah, that's me being nostalgic.
  • No comments: