Friday, April 25, 2008

Red light, green light

Last night as I was sitting at a red light, I saw a guy on a bike get hit by a car. It was his fault. He tried across a busy street - through oncoming traffic - and ended up with a bent-up back wheel. He was fine, but had to carry his bike off the road. A few minutes later I was waiting at another red light and I heard tires squeal again. I looked over just in time to see a line of four cars ram each other end to end. Then the light turned green and, when I crossed the street, I saw a fifth car further in front that had pulled up onto the center median. The driver was walking down the median toward the pile-up (though technically I don't think it was really a "pile-up" as much as an orgy of bad driving since there appeared to be only minor damage) and I'm not sure if he was involved in the accident or just pulled over to go back and help. Maybe he went back to point and laugh at the other bad drivers. At that point I wouldn't have been surprised. I was just glad to make it to the grocery store and back home without getting run over.

No comments: