Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dear subconscious: Thank you!

The other night I was lying in bed, very nearly asleep, vaguely thinking about my current writing project and its bland state when it occurred to me what was missing. Conflict. I knew that vital ingredient was lacking all along, but I never knew quite how to throw it into the mix. Now I do. I'm excited to get started adding this new dimension, but it's going to be a lot of work. I'm sitting at about 14000 words at the moment and all of it needs to be reworked. It will be worth it though.

Also giving me a boost of excitement for this project is Holly Lisle's Create a Language Clinic. Holy wow. Not only is it funny and smart and a great place to start if you want to build your own language, but I am learning a lot about the English language and its indescriminate past. I've spent hours working on my new language, Sujuq, and just learning the language of the world I've created has helped me work out numerous details about the people who live there. So, that's why I joined Holly's affiliate program and posted a link to the eBook in my sidebar. If you're a nerd (like me) and/or an aspiring sci-fi/fantasy writer (also like me) then you must read this book. Go on. I'll wait here.

No comments: