Wednesday, June 21, 2006

And don't forget the sunscreen

Last Saturday I, along with my husband and his partner in crime, traveled through the wilds of New Jersey to attend the Bridgeton Folk Festival. The drive down Route 49 through the scenic swampland just off the Delaware Bay seemed longer than it should have been. I kept thinking surely we should be there by now. After a quick stop for directions and a near run-in with an extra from Deliverance, we made it to the amphitheater. The guys lugged our ice chest in (no glass bottles – they do check your coolers) and we looked around for somewhere to sit. The venue was pretty small so, even though we were fairly high up, the view was great.

Our good intentions to be there by noon went unmet (I do regret missing Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams, but what can ya do?) and we got there around two o’clock, just in time to see C.J. Chenier and The Red Hot Louisiana Band. This was my first foray into live zydeco music, honestly my first time really listening to it at all, but I have to say I was very impressed. I couldn’t help but want to move my feet. And when they did Jambalaya I even sang along (a little).

Next up was Danielia Cotton, a local NJ girl who was much less folk and much more rock and roll. Her set ranged from Hendrix’s Red House to a haunting Delta gospel inspired homage to post-Katrina New Orleans and finished up with a helping of AC/DC’s Back in Black. While I’m not a huge AC/DC fan, she nailed it and made it fun to listen to.

After a rocking performance by Danielia, Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett took the stage for an acoustic set. I don’t really know anything about these guys and I can’t say I particularly enjoyed their set. It seemed a bit of a lull in the lineup, plus I was anxious for the headliner, who was up next.

Ani Difranco, our reason for being there, finally woke up (she later said she’d been trying to nap all day) and came on stage at around 6:15. She played a few new, unreleased songs, as well as some old (and beloved) staples. She also paused midway through the set, handed off her guitar and recited her poem Grand Canyon. Even with carpal tunnel-related wrist pain and her lack of recent on-stage performance, she put on a great show and I can’t wait to see her again.

Now let me tell you a few things about the festival itself, in case you decide to go next year. Do bring a lawn chair, preferably one that is close to the ground, but don’t go there expecting everyone to be focused on the music at the same time you are. The adorable two-year-old on the blanket next to you will cry at some point. The little boy behind you will stand up several times and yell for his big sister (Abby! Aaaaaabbbbbyyyyyy!!) while the act on stage is singing soulfully about some soulful subject. And finally, several people all around you will get up, fold away their lawn chairs and inexplicably leave while the headliner is on stage. And most of these people will be in their bathing suits because the show is right on Sunset Lake and there is a Lifeguard on duty. I wish we’d have known this before we got there - we might’ve been some of the people in swimsuits.

No comments: