Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Madness (in a good way)

A few weeks ago I saw an episode of Unwrapped that featured something called The Grocery Game. It looked interesting so I checked out the website. I ended up subscribing to The List(s) for my area and have since been HOOKED on this website.

The idea is simple. Use in-store sales combined with coupons to save an obscene amount of money. The Powers that Be at the Grocery Game do all the foot work (and brain work) for you, you just clip your coupons on Sunday and faithfully shop with The List. (Believe in The List. Trust The List. The List is your friend.) And it works.

Sunday I invested an hour or so cutting coupons. Monday I went shopping at three stores.

Store 1
Total Value of items purchased: $76
Total Out of Pocket (OOP) Spent: $37
Total Savings: $39

Store 2
Value: $74
OOP: $41
Savings: $33

Store 3
Value: $98
OOP: $58
Savings: 40

The grand total is.......
Value: $248
OOP: $136
Savings: $112 or 45%

If you want to sign up, which I highly HIGHLY suggest you do (at least check out the $1/4 week trial) please put in my email address as a referral (atomicbunnie at yahoo dot com). Thanks.

In related news, check out this great project that uses the Grocery Game to show kids how to save money AND provide for families in need: The Great Big Box Project

No comments: